Army of Shadow
|Requires access to : Shadowfell Conspiracy|
The Netherese snap to attention as a dark form emerges from the shadows. This must be the Shade who commands the Netherese recruitment campaign.
|Army of Shadow|
|Takes place in:||Netherese Recruiting Center|
|Bestowed by:||Iden Krell|
|NPC contact:||Iden Krell|
|Quest acquired in:||Wheloon Docks|
|Patron:||Purple Dragon Knights|
|Free to Play:||No|
The Netherese are now openly recruiting prisoner (sic) inside Wheloon to join their army. If this is allowed to continue, Netheril will have a military force poised to strike at the heart of Cormyr.
Go to the Netherese Recruiting Center in Wheloon Prison and kill Marthir, the Shade general in charge of the recruiting effort.
- This is the fourth quest in the Shadow Over Wheloon story arc, although you can complete the first four quests in any order to flag for the final one.
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Stop the Netherese recruitment effort
- Speak with the Netherese recruiter
- Obtain the tower key from Darobard
- Kill the Shade General Marthir
- (Optional) Lower the gate to the Shade's tower (7.5% of Base XP)
- (Optional) Defeat Rantha the Gatekeeper (10% of Base XP)
- (Optional) Destroy Shar altars - 3 total (21.5% of Base XP)
- (Optional) Defeat Casko the Mimic (16% of Base XP)
- Trapsmiths may lay poison traps at the start.
- Telekinetic Spell Ward at northeast corner of the bottom map
- Evil Spell Wards on the way to the upper floor, along the easternmost corridor (northern approach to the stairs)
- Fire Spell Wards on the way to the upper floor, along the easternmost corridor (southern approach to the stairs)
- Trap in front of the chest behind the locked door; turns into Inanimate Objects but can still be disarmed.
Tips and Misc
- The obelisks near some doors are breakable.
- There are a pair of secret doors; the Spot DC to detect them isn't bad (34 succeeded on HE) but the Search to find them is off the charts (87 failed on HE)
- One leading to the southwest black spot on the ground floor, on the southwest wall (chest behind it)
- One in the large eastern room (with the altar), on the west wall (lever behind it). The lever causes the pillars surrounding the nearby Alter of Shar to sprout jumping blocks by which you can get to the second level without having to drop the bridge (optional).
- You may be able to use the Braziers to help drive away the Shadows. Or they might stop them from spawning. Or they may do nothing at all.
- The eastern shrine is actually on the top floor. Beware all the Shadar-kai crouching near it...
- Darobad is near the southern shrine.
- Shar Altar locations:
- One in the large room to the east, on the ground floor.
- One near the northern shrine, on the ground floor.
- One on the upper floor, in the central corridor.
- Casko will appear in the northwest corner, behind a locked door
- Locked door was opened on Heroic Elite with a 44.
- Rantha will appear near the northern shrine, although her chest is to the east and south (with the gate lever)
- Aggression bonus: ~110 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 145 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 178 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 8 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 53 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 69 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 85 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Trapsmiths may render counts for traps bonus to be different, or even impossible to attain
- Chests: Four
- One behind a secret door in the south (the southwest black spot on the map, along the southwest wall); the secret door has an insanely high DC (87 failed on HE), although the Spot check to detect it is considerably less.
- Rantha's Chest is in the northeast, by the Gate Lever, although Rantha herself is located just north of the recruiter
- One in the northwest corner, for defeating Casko
- One at the end
- NPC rewards: Always contains the following named Bracers, along with three random items
Named Chest Drop
- Prisoner's Manacles - Bracers - - Rantha's chest & End chest
- ML14: , Reinforced Fists, HRandom Effect
- ML15: , Reinforced Fists, HRandom Effect,
- ML16: , Reinforced Fists, HRandom Effect,
- HRandom Effect: , , , , , , , , ,
- ML25: , Reinforced Fists, ERandom Effect,
- ML26: , Reinforced Fists, ERandom Effect,
- ML27: , Reinforced Fists, ERandom Effect, ,
- ERandom Effect: , , , , , , , , ,
- Shade's Hood - Helm - - Rantha's chest & End chest
- ML14: , †Random Elemental Resistance +25 , , - Topaz of Power +75 ( ) +75)
- ML15: , †Random Elemental Resistance +25 , , , - Topaz of Power +100 ( )
- ML16: , †Random Elemental Resistance +30 , , , - Topaz of Power +100 ( )
- ML25: , †Random Elemental Resistance +40 , , , - Topaz of Power +200 ( )
- ML26: , †Random Elemental Resistance +40 , , , - Topaz of Power +200 ( )
- ML27: , †Random Elemental Resistance +45 , , , - Topaz of Power +200 ( )
- †Random Elemental Resistance: Acid, Cold, Fire, Electricity or Sonic.
- Animated Object
- Enforcer Recruits - humans (CR: HE 21) Bugged and not in the MM
- Howlers (CR: HE 20)
- Netherese Arcanist - human mage (CR: HE 21) Bugged and not in the MM
- Netherese Mage - human mage (CR: HE 20) Some are bugged and not in the MM
- Netherese Recruiter - human mage (CR: HE 20) Bugged and not in the MM
- Priests of Shar - human clerics (CR: HE 20)
- Priestesses of Shar - human clerics (CR: HE 20)
- Shadar-kai Assassins (CR: HE 23)
- Shadar-kai Blackguards (CR: HE 23)
- Shadows (CR: HE 20)
- Shadow Puppeteers (CR: HE 23)
- Shar Altars - constructs (CR: 0)
- Shar Worshippers - humans (CR: HE 16) Bugged and not in the MM
- Thug Recruits (CR: HE 17) Bugged and not in the MM, although some may show HP with Human Expertise
- Trapsmith Recruits - halflings (CR: HE 16) Bugged and not in the MM
- Trapsmith Recruits - humans (CR: HE 16) Bugged and not in the MM
- Casko - red-named mimic; always spawns (CR: HE 27)
- Darobard <Keymaster> - orange-named human; required kill
- Marthir <Shade General> - Red-named human Shade; Final boss (CR: HE 23) Bugged and not in the MM
- Nightcrawler - Red-named nightcrawler; required kill (CR: HE 23)
- Rantha <Gatekeeper> - Orange-named human cleric; always spawns (CR: HE 25)